The Hermitage

The Hermitage a two-story building was built in c.1820 from sandstone with a Welsh Slate roof, complete with stable block, coach house and entry lodge, and is situated south of the town.

It was put up for auction in August 1843 by Messrs Small & Brough with the auction notice reading “This delightful mansion is of recent erection and its internal arrangements are rarely to be equalled”.

1843 Auction Notice
Water Colour of the Hermitage c.1836

It is believed that the Featherstonehaugh family purchased the estate and owned it until 1857. The contents of the house were again up for auction in May 1857. By 1881 Sir Henry Pottinger was the owner and in 1886 the Wood family became the owners and the house stayed in the family until about 1939. The 1911 Census records Sir Lindsay Wood as the head and three of his adult children are with him, along with 13 servants. By 1921 Arthur Nicholas Lindsay Wood was living there on his own and still had 10 servants recorded.

In 1946 the building opened as a Rehabilitation Centre for Durham Miners with room for 60 patients.

In 2008 the building was converted into exclusive individual apartments with a swimming pool, sauna and gym and private use of the 70 acre grounds, which include a lake. In 2021 a two bedroom apartment would cost you over £320.000

Miners from South Pelaw Colliery outside the Hermitage