Buildings

The Grand Houses of Chester-le-Street & the Surrounding Area

There were many Grand Houses and significant buildings in the Chester-le-Street and surrounding area. Here are just some of the residences that have a history to tell.

Hermitage

The only one of “The Grand Houses” still standing today. Situated at the southern end of the town, in its own grounds, The Hermitage has been converted into luxury apartments.

Whitehill Hall

Demolished in the 1960’s due to subsidence and vandalism, the site is now occupied by the Lingholme and Cragside estates along with the aptly named Whitehill Hall Gardens. Impressive

The Deanery

Originally built in 1286, it was demolished in 1906 to make way for the building of the Secondary School, later to become the Grammar School, it was then renamed the Deanery School, and now called Park View School.

Cocken Hall

The earliest record referring to Cocken Hall is 1133 and since then it has passed through several owners and occupiers, including the Hilton’s and Carr’s .The hall was demolished in the early 1920s and little remains today to show that it ever existed.