Flooding History

November 1771 — The Great Flood
The water at Chester-le-Street extended near 200 yards from North to South, in the street, and did considerable damage to dwelling houses and shops there. The mill and most of the mill houses and furniture near Cocken were carried away. The collieries at North Biddick, Chater’s Haugh and Low Lambton on the Wear, were filled with water and upwards of thirty horses in several workings were drowned.

1789 – The Wear was more swollen than at any time since the Great Flood of 1771. In the vicinity of Chester-le-Street all the lowlands contiguous to the river were over-flown, and much damage done to the corn, grass and other lands, by it and the rivulets in the neighbourhood. The iron forge-mill, belonging to Messrs. Hawks & Co. situate on a small rivulet at Braken Hill near Chester-le-Street was entirely swept away by the rapidity of the flood: the damage was computed to be upwards of £800. A skin mill adjoining the forge was at the same time swept away: also, a new bridge lately built by the Earl of Scarborough across the same rivulet, near Lumley Castle. The inhabitants of the lower part of the town of Chester-le-Street, were thrown into great consternation. Several of the houses were flooded to a great height and the passage of the bridge was stopped for some time.

Feb 1822 – A most tempestuous wind with heavy rain blew from the southwest causing considerable flooding in the rivers Tyne, Wear and Tees. In Chester-le-Street the Wear was so swollen that it extended above the arch of the new bridge which is more than a quarter of a mile from the channel of the river.

2012 Flooding
1979 Flooding
1979
1996
1932